Sunday, October 15, 2006

Houston IQF - World of Beauty

This collaborative piece I made recently with my sister, Parmlee Gomez, was accepted into the 2006 World of Beauty show in Houston in the 2-person category. This piece started with my sister painting the design on fabric, which I then took and finished. I cropped and rearranged the borders of the painting, added machine appliqued elements, woven strips and lots of machine quilting.

Portal
19 x 46"



This piece depicts a fantasy door to space with color filled and shadowy planets in a wild tangled star field. It is constructed using hand painted fabrics, woven fabric strips, appliqué and machine quilted with metallic and cotton thread. The piece is a collaboration by 2 sisters, one a painter in California, the other a quilter in Colorado

Comments:
I came here because I couldn't comment on the Fast Friday Blog, but I'm so glad I did. So much to look at here, and I'm going to spend some time doing so.

"Hast Thou Slain the Jabberwock?"
I think the color scheme works beautifully and creates a slightly uneasy feeling appropriate to the topic -- without being heavy-handed. Didn't notice the pleated tree trunk until looking at the detail, but I love the effect.

The mood is eery and shows that the sinister landscape can also be beautiful.
 
I love this quilt and congrats!

Your colors are amazing and the piece has such texture and depth.

You have created a wonderful piece of art.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?